Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Antitrust Settlement Reached

The Feds and the NAR have reached a settlement:

The deal frees Internet brokers and other real-estate agents offering
heavily discounted commissions to operate on a level playing field with
traditional brokers by using the multiple listing services that are the
lifeblood of the industry, government officials said.

Great. But does the settlement really change much? Not really:
After the Justice Department sued the Realtors’ association in 2005, the
group suspended the exclusionary policy.
The NAR's dropped the policy three years ago. Even at that time, their were lots of discount and flat fee brokers out there on the net and even on the local MLS. I don't see how much has changed, atleast here locally.

Maybe now with the current housing downturn coupled with this settlement, we'll see greater price competition between brokers. Commissions have always been negotiable, but maybe now sellers will have more options, and brokers will be more flexible.

As for me, I am my own boss. I have always had flexibility with my commission rates. I'll even do a flat fee if the situation warrants. Just tell me what you need as the seller, and we'll work something out.

No comments: